As companies expand their business, the cost and complexity of their internal customer service processes increase. Not being prepared for this growth can negatively impact the customer service experience and decrease customer satisfaction levels and brand loyalty.
The adoption of digital tools that help automate customer service processes may not be enough. If we seek to provide a consistent experience across all channels in a scalable and personalized way, it is necessary to guide customer service toward Root Cause understanding.
Root Cause Customer Service and its role in delivering positive ROI
The idea of "Root Cause" refers to the underlying reason behind a problem or incident. In the context of customer service, root causes can be a variety of factors that cause dissatisfaction or bad experiences for customers. For example, it could be a problem with the product or service itself, with the purchasing process, or with customer service, among others.
The understanding of the Root Cause allows to address customer inquiries in a much more direct way and to drive the organization around the ultimate concept of the origin of something. This not only improves costs and efficiency, but also the quality of customer service, so that the customer is happier, calls less, and feels closer to the brand.
On the other hand, having a Root Cause oriented process organization better aligns technical areas with business objectives and allows more agile and fluent communication between front & back office departments.
Therefore, when focusing customer service on understanding the root causes, you can significantly improve the quality of customer care and, in turn, increase the company's ROI (return on investment). It is important to keep in mind that the resources used are not only economic but also include factors such as time, the number of people involved, the tools used, etc.
Thus, the increase in profitability will affect two points: "financial values" (economic return on investment) and "efficiency values" (achieving quality results using only the resources you need).
Main challenges that the traditional Customer Service approach faces and how to address them
In financial terms:
- High AHT (Average Handling time)
- High agent turnover combined with long training periods
- Unnecessary dispatching of truck rolls
- Lack of analytics to improve processes and decisions
There are many more situations that make users uncomfortable and create a bad image for service providers.
In terms of customer satisfaction:
- Multiple screens for the agent make it impossible to attend properly.
- Inability to scale customer interactions or add new digital channels.
- Dependence on the agent's experience to provide a good service.
- Unmanageable workflows that generate loopy situations without valuable information for the agent.
- Lack of traceability and customer history.
So... How to improve the ROI of Customer Service tools? By using the right software to detect the root causes of customer interaction, being able to eliminate from the beginning most of the challenges and factors that affect the achievement of a positive ROI.
The importance of knowing the real situation of the customer, allows you to make the right decisions so that they do not happen again, and this is the real key to getting customer service that works. In this way, the processes of attention and service are optimized, allowing improvement them as they are used.
Benefits of adopting in Customer Service a solution based on Root Cause knowledge
Below are the main factors that maximize the achievement of a positive ROI as a result of focusing on the Root Cause:
- Consistent diagnosis & troubleshooting regardless of agent experience.
- Scalable and optimized experience across all channels.
- Extraction of high-value information that helps to learn about what happened.
- Rapid implementation and scalability that reduces amortization times.
- Drastic reduction in agent training times.
- Increased 1st call resolution rates.
- Reduction of field technician dispatches.
- Absorption of incident resolution in digital channels.
- Automation of the majority of diagnoses and resolutions. Reaching high levels of agility and efficiency.
This new approach in customer service means a drastic change in the way customers are served, allowing companies to drive the highest levels of efficiency and customer satisfaction.